Awareness of the existence of cultural differences and how to deal with these differences can have a profound impact on the quality of your relationship with your participant and on your entire family’s AFS experience. To this end, this handbook is designed to help you learn about both the German and U.S. culture by examining a number of topics, including:
- German traditions and rituals
- Key differences between the U.S. and German school systems
- Predominant communication styles in the U.S.A. and Germany
- The general German and U.S. American views on concepts such as laws and rules, space, and patriotism.
- The general nature of relationships in the U.S.A. and Germany
- German cultural norms regarding dating, nudity and sexual relationships
Click here to access the handbook